Families is powered by Vocal.
Vocal is a platform that provides storytelling tools and engaged communities for writers, musicians, filmmakers, podcasters, and other creators to get discovered and fund their creativity.
How does Vocal work?
Creators share their stories on Vocal’s communities. In return, creators earn money when they are tipped and when their stories are read.
How do I join Vocal?
Vocal welcomes creators of all shapes and sizes. Join for free and start creating.
To learn more about Vocal, visit our resources.Show less
Being a grandma—you would think it would be a piece of cake, a walk in the park—I mean, after all, we have already raised our children. That is how we were crowned with the coveted title of "Grandma."
But, hold up, not so fast new grandmas or grandmas-to-be. There are some new rules you are going to be hit with in 2019. Don't get me wrong, most of the basics are all the same—feed a baby, burp a baby, change a dirty diaper.
It is a lot of the other stuff you think you have covered, but don't. Parents today have a whole new set of ideas when it comes to raising kids. First of all those days where grandparents could run wild, do whatever they do and get a pass well, because they are grandparents... No more.
You must abide by all the news baby raising/caring for rules of 2019. At least that is what I am told. Every time I care for my granddaughter, my daughter leaves a very detailed, and an extensive list of what is to be done, when it is to be done, and how it is to be done.
Due to the new studies surrounding SIDS, babies are to sleep on their backs, no toys, bumper pads, or blankets in the bed with them. Since we live in a state where it is often cold, this one was tough for me, but I adapted.
Feeding—only formula or breast milk until doctor okays it. In my day we, worked in some juice and water. Cereal was given at only months old. Not these days.
It was also called to my attention that if I failed to carry out these instructions my babysitting privileges could be revoked. Okay, this was just the first few months of new mommy stuff going on.
They were all dreamy eyed stating how they as new parents had life all figured out and they wanted to do it their way on their own. I still tend to giggle over that.
Fast forward to months later and new mommy and daddy have also figured out a few things.
- They do not want to do it all on their own, help is a Godsend.
- While it is great to follow all the doctor's orders, it is important to trust your instincts when it comes to your baby.
- Not all babies are alike, nor will they ever be.
- Grandma did and still does know what she is talking about.
- Grandmas will 100 percent go along with your rules about your babies. After all, we were new moms once also.
- Grandparents are absolutely a million times in love with those grand kids and would put their lives on the line for them.
- Most of us will keep our advise to ourselves unless asked, but then you have opened up a whole new world.
- 8. We will never say "I told you so" well not allowed to you anyway, but we always think it.
- Remember our time here on Earth is fading faster for us grandparents and spending that time with you and the grand kids mean the world to us, so try and be patient with our pop in visits.
- Everything we do is done out of love, love for you, our children, and those magical and precious grand babies.
Despite whatever hurdles, we will jump through knowing that, well, as far as I am concerned, there is and will never be anything else in my life that compares to loving and being a part of my children and grandchildren's lives.